Sara Thatcher is honored to be a featured guest blogger for the SAS Institute Relationship Series, please click here for more info!
Watch Sara in part 2 and 3 of the TWC News Series on children and digital media here!
Sara Bagramian Thatcher is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certified Trauma Specialist, Play Therapist and Registered Yoga Teacher, with over 15 years of experience in the mental health field, specializing in Play Therapy for children aged birth-12 and parent support/coaching.
Sara is one of ten other therapists in Raleigh who have obtained the Registered Play Therapist (RPT) certification through the Association for Play Therapy, which requires 150 hours of Play Therapy Training and 50 hours of Play Therapy supervision.
She is one of three therapists in Wake County (and the only therapist in Raleigh) who have received the Certified Trauma Practitioner certification from the National Institute of Trauma and Loss in Children.
Ms. Thatcher also consults with community agencies, physicians and schools in regards to play therapy and trauma interventions for children.
Sara has testified as an expert witness in court over 10 times in Wake, Durham and Lee Counties to provide testimony in regards to abuse/neglect, play therapy and child mental health. Ms. Thatcher has completed training to provide forensic evaluations through the Child Medical Evaluation Program at UNC-Chapel Hill which evaluates abuse and neglect in North Carolina.
Ms. Thatcher was interviewed as a child/parenting specialist for the article ‘Raising Respectful Kids‘ in the March, 2015 edition of Carolina Parent Magazine.
Sara completed 220 hours of Yoga Teacher Training in 2017 which included children’s yoga and regularly uses yoga and mindfulness techniques in her work with children and adolescents.
Licenses, Certifications & Awards
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, State of North Carolina, 2005
Certified Child Family Evaluation Forensic Evaluator, 2009
Association for Play Therapy Leadership Academy Graduate, 2011
Registered Play Therapist, 2013
Certified Trauma Specialist, 2013
Registered Yoga Teacher-200 hr, 2017
Professional Activities and Memberships
Association For Play Therapy Member 2008-present
Consultant and contributor in article ‘Attitude Adjustment, Raising Respectful Kids’, Carolina Parent Magazine, March 2015
Haven House Services, Board Member – 2011-2013
National Association for Play Therapy, Leadership Academy Graduate, 2013
Author of Article ‘How Can Play Therapy Help?’ in On The Record Magazine, 2011
Author of Article ‘Helping Children Cope with Divorce’ in On The Record Magazine, 2012
Member of Wake County School Based Mental Health team: 2004-2007
Member of Yoga Alliance: 2017-present
Member of National Association of Social Workers (NASW): 2014-present
Lectures and Presentations
- General Overview of Play Therapy Methods with Children: Arapgir Center for Children and Families, 10/2009, Yerevan, Armenia.
- Child Centered Play Therapy Theories and Methods: University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, School of Social Work guest lecture 11/2009, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Play Therapy Methods with Children including Directive and Non-Directive Techniques: EasterSeals UCP Mental Health Division, 12/2009, Raleigh, NC.
- Play Therapy Basics and Working with Traumatized Children: Carolina Mental Health Center, 03/2011, Raleigh, NC.
- Theraplay® Techniques: UNC-Charlotte, Contemporary Theories of Play Therapy Graduate Course, College of Education Multicultural Play Therapy Center Counseling Department, 09/2011, Charlotte, NC.
- Theraplay® Techniques and Legal/Ethical Issues in Play Therapy: UNC-Charlotte, Contemporary Theories of Play Therapy Graduate Course, College of Education Multicultural Play Therapy Center Counseling Department, 09/2012, Charlotte, NC.
- Theraplay® Techniques and Legal/Ethical Issues in Play Therapy: UNC-Charlotte, Contemporary Theories of Play Therapy Graduate Course, College of Education Multicultural Play Therapy Center Counseling Department, 09/2013, Charlotte, NC.
- Helping Traumatized Children: EasterSeals UCP, Foster Care Division, 04/2014, Raleigh, NC.
- Theraplay® Techniques: UNC-Charlotte, Contemporary Theories of Play Therapy Graduate Course, College of Education Multicultural Play Therapy Center Counseling Department, 11/2015, Charlotte, NC